Thursday, September 20, 2012

I don't like the new blogger interface

Having been forced abruptly from one day to the next to use the new interface, I just have to say it--I'm agin it. For one thing, I get an error message every time I change the page. For another, given that it's been forced on us, it doesn't actually seem to do anything new. And for a third and more general complaint, how about that you can never even get close to actually talking to anyone at Google? I mean, even by email. All you get is FAQs and user forums. And some sort of known issues page. You can write your complaint, and you'll get a note saying how Google is appreciative of your concern and how you must realize that they can't respond to everyone.

I know the strategy here is that people complain and then they adjust. Well, I don't. I still complain every day about the computer upgrade at work, which given that it was the same company's software upgraded has just some unbelievably stupid elements now, and I still complain about how stupid air travel has become in this millennium.

More kindly souls around me are always pointing out that complaining doesn't do any good. But I don't agree. As with all of these things, I don't actually have a lot of choice in the matter. I could quit flying, or quit my job, or quit blogging, but I'm probably not going to do any of these things. Complaining is still a form of dissent, though. Complaining is the way an individual gets to say, you may hold all the cards, powers that be, but that still doesn't make what you're doing all right.       

13 comments:

  1. Christ, I can't stand idiot Desiderata-reciting suck-ups who say complaining does no good.

    The new Blogger interface is not calamitous, but it is slower and harder to use, especially those no-break commands it inserts for nor eason I've been able to figure out.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Peter, you would not thrive in California.

    Yes, I think that's kind of the unstated theme here--not calamitous, but slower and harder to use. And in all examples cited there isn't really any hope of change so you're just supposed to resign yourself to it and get used to it. Oh, yeah, and be grateful for its existence too. Ie, at least you can blog, fly, have a job, or whatever. True, but it's hardly an answer.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I complain a lot. I even complain that I complain too much. I hope it's helping.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I complain about how much other people complain, especially when I'm at work. I think it's hard to top that!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I have been told I'm lucky to have a job, that I shouldn't complain, that other people are worse off...and that's by colleagues, not by management.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I have complained that my colleagues don't complain enough (really).

    ReplyDelete
  7. Peter, it's interesting that complaint and compliant are so close and yet so very, very far...

    ReplyDelete
  8. I know which is the prevailing ethos here.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Maybe I'll do a post, in case people are confused about which camp they're in...

    ReplyDelete
  10. Super! Hey, what a terrific idea! I'm with you all the way!

    ReplyDelete
  11. More exclamations points in one comment than I've seen from you, Peter.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Hey, that's super nice of you to notice!!!

    ReplyDelete