Thursday, June 26, 2014

"Enlisted"--and promote something

This is a kind of funny use of this blog for promotional purposes, because I'm not promoting myself or even one of my friends. But I just got done watching the last episode of Fox network's "Enlisted", and I really feel so sad that it was cancelled before it really found its audience that I decided to join in the general clamor to keep it going. There seems to be a chance that someone like Hulu or Netflix will pick it up. I'm not apprised of what the details are, but as I'm not on Facebook or even Twitter, this is my best shot at giving my thumbs up to a very engaging show.



The concept of the series is that three brothers find themselves on a kind of rear guard army base. They come from a military tradition. The older brother is a war hero who has been sent back home after war wounds, the two younger brothers have their separate and opposite reactions to that. There are a lot of odd misfit troops who are also at the base, and they are led by a commander who has lost a leg in combat.


The brothers, who I believe are based in some loose sense on the real brothers of the writer, are quite engaging in a way that I think is a little different in television. They are all attractive, but their appeal is in the affectionate sibling rivalry between them rather than on mere good looks.


In some ways it's standard sitcom fare, I guess, although that's not really a pejorative in my book. A strong ensemble seems to be the best way to create a long running series these days, given half a chance. This one seems to have started out strong and just gotten better as the cast got to know and work with each other.


The reason I'm making an appeal for it here is that I really hate when good creative projects are killed before they have half a chance. But also because I think that this is a good glimpse into the life of a military base for those of us who aren't all that connected to the military in any other way. There is this nice mix of lighthearted comedy and the reality that we are (still) a nation at war. It's  not M.A.S.H., but you get the military shows reflective of the times you live in...


The latest plan to save the show comes from the creators. They want fans to try to get Taylor Swift to endorse the show in a last ditch effort. As I'm pretty sure Taylor reads this blog with a maniacal devotion, I thought I'd give it a go. I mean, she was on the cover of Carmel Magazine this month. And I was there...

after it came out...


Is there something you'd like to promote? Including your own work? My old blogging friend Brian O'Rourke used to host a "promote yourself'" day on his blog, which I thought was pretty cool. His rules were to promote anything you wanted, except him. My rules are, the same, except spammers will be deleted. I don't think most spammers will have read down this far, though...

P.S. You can currently watch some of the episodes of the Enlisted on Fox HERE






No comments:

Post a Comment