Saturday, January 6, 2018

demesne


No, it's not a word you're going to run across much nowadays, but if you happen to be working your way through Gibbon's  The History of the Decline and Fall of the Roman Empire, you may be surprised at how much it comes up. I have a good enough grasp of the sense of it (in context) to know it means something like property or grounds or land, but I thought I should probably get a little clearer idea of it, because I suspect it's not the last time I'm going to run across it while reading this multivolume work.

Castletown House and demesne, County Kildare, Ireland


If you look up a word's definition on Google, you can also find a chart on its historical and current usage, and demesne's drop has been pretty steep over the years. (Gibbon published his work from 1776 to 1789, so the chart doesn't even quite cover his period.)  But the word does show up in other older works, so it's good to have a handle on it.


"Demesne", which is pronounced di-MAYN or di-MEEN, comes to English by the very standard route of Anglo-French (demesne or demeine) from Old French demaine, meaning 'land held for a lord's own use', which eventually leads us back to the Latin dominicus, "belonging to a lord or master", which stems from dominus "master", and domus, "house." I liked this uncharacteristically humorous explanation from the Online Etymology Dictionary, which explains that Anglo-French legal scribes changed the spelling under the influence of the Old French word mesnie, meaning household, "and their fondness for inserting -s- before -n-."

Medieval Manor--mustard color for demesne


"Demesne's" meaning has grown to be pretty broad. It still retains the sense of being an estate or part of an estate that is occupied and held by and worked for the exclusive use of its owner. It can simply be the land adjoining a manor house. But it can also mean the dominion or territory of a sovereign or state, or it can just mean a district or region.

Now, the funny thing is that the Online Etymology Dictionary ends up by telling us that "essentially", it's the same word as "domain." That's because after "demesne" made its way into England around 1300, the term came in again through Scotland, from Middle French domaine, though tracing back to the same Latin roots.

This got me to wondering what the French was for "domain name". Could it be nom de demesne? Unfortunately, though reasonably, it is simply 'nom de domaine'. At least they got back their beloved final -e-.


13 comments:

  1. Hi Seana,
    again a very interesting article.
    I, too, had a rough meaning but never bothered to look the word up.
    This is an interesting process: the same word comes from one language to another at two different times when there has been some change already in the country of origin. And voila, we have two different forms of ist, quite confusing!
    Does the older form demaine still exist in todays French?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

      Delete
    2. This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

      Delete
  2. Hi, Eva. Thanks for dropping by and Happy New Year!

    Yes, I liked that double entry into English and all the variations that came about before we got to domain and demesne. I tried to figure out if demaine or demeine still exist in French, but I don't know enough about French dictionaries to be sure about anything, nor do I know a French speaker I could ask at the moment, but maybe I'll remember when I run into one!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi Seana,
    also a very Happy New Year to you!
    I did a quick search on the internet and found this "Wiktionary"-page:
    https://en.wiktionary.org/wiki/demaine
    They also state it is old French and only give "domaine" as the descended word, whereas for the English descendants they have both domain ond demesne.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi Seana,

    I'm reading (or am I re-reading) War and Peace. I suspect that I'll be coming across this word at some point. And I at an older age than when I last attempted (or did I succeed) to crawl through the book, am appreciating the overdrawn, look-at-me narration for another time gone by type of approach. Demesne has to appear at some point, doesn't it?

    I gobbled up many of Tolstoy's other works much more readily than this one. They probably also used the word. So many Russians speaking French!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hi Sheiler. Good to hear from you again! I read War and Peace in college, or really the summer between terms and wasn't so taken with it after Dostoyevsky. But much later I read Anna Karenina and was very happy I did, so it might just have been the wrong time. It just happens that I am going to be reading Hadji Murat this week for my book group so I will look out for demesne and other French derived words and let you know! I do remember my professor talking a lot about the francophilia that Russia had during Tolstoy's time.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Yeah! I've been meaning to comment on earlier posts but my ability to 'comment as' was hampered since I couldn't recall the password whatnot required to include my photo of my dog's paw on an open book. Such egotism. Mon Dieu!

    Also, speaking of French, or as they say in Quebecistan, francophones, the term "Sacré bleu" is unknown in these here parts. If I ever come across "that" phrase in War&Peace (I tackled Kirstin Lavransdottir but don't know if I want to go after Infinite Jest -- other long volumes of literary jibberish), if I ever see the phrase mentioned, I shall blink rapidly in solidarity of my almost newly minted homeland of Quebec. I mean, Canada, by way of Quebec.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. So that's official, then? Congratulations!

      I finished Hadju Murad--unlike much of Tolstoy, it is short--and there were a fair number of simple French sentences, though I was still thankful for the footnotes. I recommend it. I don't know if I would have liked it so much when I was younger, but I really do now.

      Delete
  7. This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Oooh I haven't read Hadju Murad yet. Next on my list. Not sure why I'm leaning so heavily on Tolstoy these days. But I've also been thinking a LOT about that musical Chess by the Abba dudes. I'm so swayed I guess my current events aka Russia.

    Almost there, Canadianly speaking. I got notice from some office that I'd been accepted but haven't actually received a card or ID or anything like that. I know that Canada is one group I need acceptance from, but Quebec is the other group. The twain shall never meet? So, not 'there' yet. But close!

    ReplyDelete
  9. This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

    ReplyDelete